Charlotte, N.C. – Jan. 31, 2017 – Saturday, Feb. 4, 2017 through Sunday, Feb. 12, 2017, Harris Teeter will be collecting non-perishable food items in all of its Mecklenburg County stores to benefit Loaves & Fishes, a food pantry program which provides a week’s worth of nutritious groceries at no cost to individuals and families who are experiencing a crisis. The food drive in Harris Teeter stores will supplement the Mecklenburg County Boy Scouts’ Scouting for Food drive held on Feb. 4.
The 2016 Scouting for Food drive collected a record 282,000 pounds of food for Loaves & Fishes. Last year alone, Loaves & Fishes was able to provide a week’s worth of groceries to more than 67,500 people in Mecklenburg County. According to Loaves & Fishes, priority needs for 2017 include: canned fruit, canned pastas, cereal, canned meat and 100% fruit juice.
There are three ways to participate:
1. Visit Harris Teeter stores in Mecklenburg County, Feb. 4 – 12 and drop-off donations in the Scouting for Food collection barrels found in the lobby.
2. If you received a grocery bag from the Mecklenburg County Boy Scouts, fill it with non-perishable food items and leave it outside your home for pick-up Saturday, Feb. 4.
3. Drop-off food donations at nine convenient locations throughout Charlotte Feb. 4, 2017 from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. and Feb. 5, 2017 from 12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. The locations are:
- Ada Jenkins Center – 212 Gamble St., Davidson
- Arboretum Shopping Center – Providence Rd. & Highway 51, Charlotte
- Bethel Presbyterian Church – 19920 Bethel Church Rd., Cornelius
- Huntersville United Methodist Church – 14005 Stumptown Rd., Huntersville
- Mulberry Presbyterian Church – 5600 Tuckaseegee Rd., Charlotte
- Philadelphia Presbyterian Church – 11501 Bain School Rd., Mint Hill
- Sharon Presbyterian Church – 5201 Sharon Rd., Charlotte
- Town Center Plaza – 8600 University City Blvd., Charlotte
- Trinity Presbyterian Church – 3115 Providence Rd., Charlotte
SOURCE: Harris Teeter